Head Chef (Dublin)
Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for effectively managing the kitchen and CRA team to achieve the highest standard of food production safely and on time. To control and manage the food cost in line with the budget, to maintain food safety control within the production environment. Participate in menu development and planning activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with customer schedules, planning production accordingly to ensure catering provisions are ready on time for dispatch and delivery
- Managing a team of chefs, supervisors and CRA (Central Recipe Assembly) staff as appropriate
- Supporting the central culinary team with customer menu development
- Ensuring productivity, financial, operational and quality targets / KPI’s are met & exceeded
- Providing clear and effective leadership to unit culinary & CRA teams
- Foster a positive culture of effective team working and accountability in line with business values
- Ensure staff are trained and aware of their roles & responsibilities, and are equipped to carry out their tasks effectively & to a high standard
- Manage the department staff rosters, holiday planning and manpower planning
- Coordinating staff training and development
- Actively recognise good performance in the team and promote the company reward and recognition scheme
- Providing clear and effective communication to internal and external customers including performance reports and customer complaint information – and follow-up corrective actions
- In conjunction with the food stores manager, lead the unit material improvement program in order to beat AVT deviation targets
- Coordinate and lead regular culinary tasting & menu presentations both within the unit and with key customers alike
- In conjunction with the food stores manager raise with central procurement & purchasing regarding product quality & product improvement initiatives
- Drive & lead good manufacturing standards both within the hot kitchen and the other production areas
- Supporting any regional business activity as required
- Play a key role within the unit senior management team
- Ensure the production team are aware of their responsibilities in respect of, food safety health and safety and security in the workplace and have the minimum qualifications and training to work in a kitchen environment
- Enforcement & Implementation of the GG Food Safety Standard
- Undertake & support Customer Food Safety and Product Quality audits
- Undertake regular audits of all areas within the kitchen and storage areas to ensure complete adherence to agreed policies
- Ensure cleaning rosters are effective throughout the food production areas
- Ensure that all equipment is working safely and compliant with manufacturers guidelines for operation - reporting any failures.
- To ensure effective channels of communication at all levels so every member of the team is aware of the customer requirements and objectives and the part they play in the successful delivery of these requirements
- To be an active member of the management team and support colleagues in the achievement of their KPI’s
- To attend team meetings as required and contribute to the development and growth of the business through the sharing of good practice and your own experiences.
- To attend all necessary training programs to develop your own potential and enable your progress in the company
- To support the Company Executive Chef in the development of the food offering
- Extensive experience as a qualified Chef preferably in a Head Chef role
- Previous experience in Airline catering preferred but not essential
- Previous experience in managing teams
- Competence in running a fast-paced kitchen and working well under pressure.
- Competence in all aspects of kitchen budgeting to include costing and menu planning, labour costing and waste management.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Must demonstrate integrity, confidentiality and professionalism always
- Strong leadership skills but ability to work with a team.
- HACCP qualified
- Ability to work efficiently/creatively using own initiative to resolve issues
- Flexible and able to manage multiple demands in a highly pressurised environment
- Ability to take ownership and deliver to deadlines in a fast – paced environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English,
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Applications (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales, prioritising as appropriate
- Proactive and positive/flexible attitude